The Very Latest from Hello Magazine in the UK and Canada!

(Click Diana)






















THE STORY BEHIND THE NEWS ....

















After the death of the Princess of Wales on August 31, 1997, I began visualizing a portrait of Diana, to deal with my intense feelings about the abrupt, senseless and swift manner of Diana’s death.

I didn’t know Princess Diana, but like so many
others I was deeply touched by her life and her death. As a painter, I have always dealt with feelings by painting them out on canvas. That’s what I did here. The painting, then, is probably more about what I felt than about Diana herself, but I hope it rings true and captures something special about her. I wanted the painting to be about her tenderness and vulnerability, and her love for her sons. Just for myself, I titled the picture, “ I love you Wills, I love you Harry,” and I painted to those feelings, which I know were a big part of Diana’s life. I chose to show Diana with no jewelry in a simple black dress, because beauty like hers needs no adornment.The painting took shape quickly, and, when completed, it was cradled in a simple gold leaf frame.

Just days from finishing, I happened to watch Elton John on The Oprah Winfrey Show. I was touched by Elton's sadness, so I immediately decided to give him my painting. My friend
Bill Reid, a concert promoter, put the painting, along with a letter from me, in Elton’s dressing room.

Louis Briel
October 10, 1997


Around the world with Elton John ...

A few days later I received a note:


Dear Louis,

Thank you so much for the beautiful portrait of Princess Diana - it really is extremely good. I am going to
take the canvas on tour with me, so that I can look at it every night before I go on stage. Then, the portrait will be sent to my home in England. You are a very kind man and the gift is much
appreciated.

Much love, Elton J.




*The painting is featured
(Page 163) in a new book “Diana in Art,” compiled by Mem Mehmet, Chaucer Press, Summer 2007.




No comments: